1. This is a fantastic community based on a FRIENDLY community environment. Please register for your account. Simple - Easy - Fun!

Thank You

Cheap VS Expensive???

Discussion in 'General Gear Talk' started by mrcdboston, Oct 2, 2017.

?

Cheap vs Expensive Gear?

1. I go for Cheap

18.8%
  2. I go for Expensive

37.5%
  3. Doesn’t matter

37.5%
  4. Just give me my guitar and amp - forget the pedals!

6.3%
  1. mrcdboston

mrcdboston Administrator Staff Member Manufacturers Vendor Level 1 VIP ALL ACCESS

In this video Shane of In The Blues (Give him a follow) discusses the ‘Law of diminishing returns” as far as gear goes.

Question, what are your thoughts?

Mike Francis likes this.
  2. PeterHamm

PeterHamm 2-Voice Guitar Junkie VIP ALL ACCESS

I’ve had em all. My 3 expensive guitars now are far far better for me than any lesser guitars ever were

Nurk2 likes this.
  3. NickCutroneo

NickCutroneo New Member VIP ALL ACCESS

I few years back (4-5 or so...?), a friend and I were at Sam Ash, and I saw one of those Peavey "superhero" guitars. You know, the 3/4 scale, single humbucker jobies. Anyway, I plugged it into a Blackstar amp - wasn't THAT expensive (under a grand) and started playing away. Moments later I had the sales guy come up to me looking baffled that I was able to get a killer tone from that guitar. He said to me, "I might even have to buy one of those". I do have to say, I got a killer tone from that guitar...and part of me wanted one just for giggles.

For me, it doesn't really matter what the price is of the gear I'm playing as long as I can make it work. A guitar has to be playable, I have to be able to find my "sound" from an amp (or close to it). I'm not a big FXs junkie, so as long as it makes my sound improve I'm happy!

Scott Ruhs and mrcdboston like this.
  4. mrcdboston

mrcdboston Administrator Staff Member Manufacturers Vendor Level 1 VIP ALL ACCESS

Agreed an thank you for being real an human and replying as a real person unlike some who might take this as a joke:smiley:

I watched an awesome video of a toy ukulele being played by a phenomenal musician| absolutely incredible |

5. OnTheBus

OnTheBus Administrator Staff Member VIP ALL ACCESS

I'm a big audio nerd (Full Sail grad) and learned about some differences in quality of gear (mostly stuff I'll never see again lol), & in my experience there are some things that matter and many that don't, especially for the guitarist. In a studio? Don't compromise, just invest and do it. But a Klon or Soul Food for guitarist? Serve me up a dish of Soul. BUT, I must say another area I refuse to compromise in is acoustic guitars for bluegrass. It's basically impossible to spend too much in a competitive market for a well built one :hearteyecat: (not including some rare collectable or something).

6. Scott Ruhs

Scott Ruhs New Member VIP ALL ACCESS

I'm not that fussy about what I play. If it feels good in my hands and sounds good to my ears then I'm golden. When it comes down to it, they are just tools that help you achieve your musical goal. Some tools are easier to use than others though. :smiley:

Mike Francis, mrcdboston and OnTheBus like this.
  7. Rogatien022

Rogatien022 New Member

I go with what my money allows me to get. I've tried, bought, sold countless pieces of gear over the years and since I'm only doing covers, my personal experience is that the folks in front of you don't give a hoot about what gear you're using, they are there to have a good time, meet people and be entertained! I'm not saying I don't enjoy the expensive fancy gear, I'm just saying that it's simply not required to get another mortgage to get gear that sounds good! To each their own, what works for me may not work for others!

GordonF, Mike Francis and mrcdboston like this.
  8. Mike Francis

Mike Francis At Home Guitar hero (to my kids) Staff Member Supporting Member Level 1

I think it depends of the way the guitar makes you feel when you play it I have picked up a Gibson before that just didnt feel right but i have a couple that are just awesome and I own an SX by rondo music that was just awesome really punch you in the face pickups that guitar was only 100 bucks and i own a fender modern player that i love but there are days when i really just rather play the sx tele the setup is great stays in tune the headstock is kinda ugly but the guitar is fun to play i think if the guitar hits a place in your heart just feels good to you then price isnt the issue thats how i feel about it.

GordonF and mrcdboston like this.
  9. mrcdboston

Mike Francis likes this.
  10. NickCutroneo

NickCutroneo New Member VIP ALL ACCESS

My current main guitar is an EBMM Majesty. Probably the most comfortable instrument I've ever played (for my style). Before that I was playing a SBMM JP50 (the import version of a JP6 guitar). I played hundreds of shows with that guitar. I had the pickups swapped to Dimarzios - but I'll tell you that guitar did the job well. The craftsmanship of an instrument is the most important thing. If that's on a $200 guitar or $20,000 it doesn't matter. After that, you can spend the money to get the sound you want.

Mike Francis likes this.
  11. Rogatien022

Rogatien022 New Member

A good slab is a good slab, and also good fret work. All the rest can be managed at will/taste.

12. Chris O

Chris O New Member VIP ALL ACCESS

My favorite Les Paul to date (and I've probably owned 20+) was a mid-90's Epiphone LP Std Gold Top. I put a Dimarzio Super Distortion and PAF Pro in in, and a set of Sperzels, and from a playability and sound standpoint, rivaled ANY other LP I've owned, followed shortly thereafter by a 1995 LP Studio. More $$$ doesn't always make for a better piece of gear...

13. OnTheBus

OnTheBus Administrator Staff Member VIP ALL ACCESS

Chris... I've got SD's in my Kiesel & love em!

Mike Francis and mrcdboston like this.
  14. Gavin

Gavin New Member

Got a kick out of the video. In the background he not only has a Klon on the shelf but 2 Klons. If they're original klons...whats that??...about $6000 worth of pedals?

eric harbauer and Mike Francis like this.
  15. eric harbauer

eric harbauer Enthusiast VIP ALL ACCESS

"Hot rod deluxe vs. Two rock" C'mon . Not even in the neighborhood. Now that said, I've have some great gear that I didn't pay a ton for. A digitech Gfx1 twin tube for one, and an Agile AL-3200, and this totally crappo Yamaha EG112c that just has serious mojo for me. But honestly you get what you pay for. Cheaper gear has cheaper components. Cheap guitars have crappy setups, and junk electronics. My latest "cheapo" is a Jacksom Dinky $329 turd that needed like 2 hours of setup work (the floyd shelf needed to be lowered, and the floyd nut was actually concave and needed filing to plane it out) but I like the guitar, now that it has new pickups, and a good setup. So....$300 bucks later...

But to honestly stand there and say that a Fender Hot rod Deluxe = a Two Rock???? No way. not in a million years. You get what you pay for.

Mike Francis likes this.
  16. eric harbauer

Please understand... I'm not saying that cheap guitars are junk, or bad. I honestly don't believe that any manufacturers are trying to make inferior products, and there are plenty of bargains out there. You can, ...and I do.. buy inexpensive guitars, Upgrade them and make them seriously killer instruments. But for the most part cheap means it needs work, and probably will never be worth what you have invested in it (kinda like dumping money into a car) lol . But for a guitar U are gonna gig.... its a good way to go.

Mike Francis likes this.
  17. PeterHamm

I'm sure that cheap guitars and stuff are good for someone... just not for me anymore.

I went from cheap guitars to mid-priced guitars... then I downsized from about a dozen of those to just a small handful of really great guitars of the same value... and I'm way way way happier. ymmv of course, but when someone says that a Squier CV is as good as one of my Andersons... uh... no...

eric harbauer likes this.
  18. eric harbauer

Yep.... and when someone says a Hot rod deluxe is as good as my FUCHS... not a chance. None.... Zero... not even in the same universe.

PeterHamm likes this.
  19. PeterHamm

I've owned a ton of amps. Loved a lot of them. Some were cheap.

All of the ones that were truly great at more than one or two things were either kinda pricy or vintage or both.

20. Mike Francis

Mike Francis At Home Guitar hero (to my kids) Staff Member Supporting Member Level 1

Yeah I agree with eric you can take a cheap guitar [in price] do some upgrades such as new nut tuners possible pickups for just a little money and make them amazing to you now I myself have a couple guitars I paid a lot more for mostly because of the name or made in the usa reason and because i wanted something to leave for my kids when im gone but as far as getting the tone i wanted or the look of guitar or color i wanted i could have spent a lot less and it probably would have sounded and played just as good but having a usa made fender or gibson is nice and they do have great quality but I also have had an expensive guitar wont name names but it has electronic tuner system on it beautiful guitar sounded amazing but the tuning system made me hate it because it had plastic gears inside and would not stay in tune so i sold it it honestly depends on if you want to be dedicated to that brand fine but dont judge every guitar just on the price pick it up play if it speaks to you then get it if you look at and you keep an open mind you might be surprised and find that you have something that becomes priceless to you and you wouldn't sell or trade for anything that is just my opinion and i wont bash a company for anything not why im here lol

21. PeterHamm

I suppose this is true, but I gave up on it a long time ago.

Very often it's throwing good money after bad. (not always, I'm sure).

I've known so many guys who change pickups in a guitar a bunch of times, realize the've spent hundreds of dollars, and sell the guitar.

Most of the time in my experience (40 years of playing btw) if a guitar isn't quite working for you, changing the pickups will only make you think it does (because you're not motivated to admit you made a mistake buying those after-market pickups...) until you realize... nah...

I've tried a Les Paul 2 times. The second time I just said, no this doesn't work for me and just let it go. Both were exceptional guitars, btw...

22. Mike Francis

yeah agree with that as well i think you just have to find what fits you and your ears and how it makes you feel i have expensive and cheap as well made good deals and got burnt in my mind anyway i just say if it feels right to you and you want that hello kitty guitar play the heck out of it but if youd rather have a custom lp or stat type play and paint it scratch it up just play it after all music is what we all love and brands are just labels they arent really special until sound comes out of it and you feel better for it and dont spend a ton of money only to lay it down or get mad at the guitar it probably just isnt the one for you some people would rather drive a beautiful lambo wich probably are nice but you can get groceries in it my truck aint pretty but i can get a lot of miles on it and park it anywhere and not worry about scratching it lol so sometimes i ramble on and on lol It nice to hear other perspectives on different subjects we do all have to agree just nice to talk and see a different point of view without all the stress that goes on today .

23. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon New Member

Over the years I've had numerous examples of cheap versus expensive. Although I agree with sentiment expressed in the initial video of "diminishing returns", in my experience the difference may be small, but it's significant in value in most cases. Here are some of my personal experiences in the matter.

Guitars: I was wanting to get into a good hollow body guitar. Not willing to spend the money for the proline Gretsch I got the Korean made version in a T5420 and then did some upgrades on the electronics and various other features. It was a great guitar, but every time I sat down to play a proline it was an entirely different experience both in terms of action, versatility of sound and fullness. I ended up getting a Silver Falcon and couldn't be happier with it. Pretty much the same experience with Gibsons and especially with Fenders. I'm not saying the cheaper ones wouldn't do the job. They would. But once I'd played the top end in 335's, Les Paul's, Strat's, and Tele's I could never be happy playing the lower end because I knew the difference.

Live Sound and Studio Sound: This is where you really get what you pay for in my experience. Although lower end gear will suffice, it never really compares in my experience to the fullness, clarity and precision of the sound you get from top end gear. And it certainly doesn't compare in terms of durability either. This is particularly true once you jump the gap from a traditional speaker setups to something more advanced such as line arrays. Worth every penny.

Mike Francis likes this.
  24. Joepeggio

Joepeggio Member VIP ALL ACCESS

Also, every "expensive" guitar I own seems to be worth what I paid for it or more.

Mike Francis likes this.
  25. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny New Member VIP ALL ACCESS

There's definitely a point of diminishing returns but I wouldn't trade my EBMM JP for 10 SBMM JPs. Sterlings are crap compared to the real deal. I don't think you need to spend any more than about $3k. Everything after that is just for fancier wood, etc. Hell, even $2k should get you everything you need. I know that gems can be found in any price range, but as a rule, you get what you pay for.