1. This is a fantastic community based on a FRIENDLY community environment. Please register for your account. Simple - Easy - Fun!

Thank You

Fizz

Discussion in 'General Gear Talk' started by Joepeggio, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Joepeggio

Joepeggio Member VIP ALL ACCESS

I just finished listening to V Halen 1. I wish someone told Eddie how to high cut. So fizzy.

Joking. What a great album.

Mike Francis and mrcdboston like this.
  2. mrcdboston

mrcdboston Administrator Staff Member Manufacturers Vendor Level 1 VIP ALL ACCESS

Ha - you got that right - it’s fizzy goodness:smiley:

Mike Francis likes this.
  3. Mike Francis

Mike Francis At Home Guitar hero (to my kids) Staff Member Supporting Member Level 1

he made it work for sure

mrcdboston likes this.
  4. mrcdboston

mrcdboston Administrator Staff Member Manufacturers Vendor Level 1 VIP ALL ACCESS

Track List
    1.) Runnin' With the Devil - 0:01
    2.) Eruption - 3:37
    3.) You Really Got Me - 5:18
    4.) Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - 7:57
    5.) I'm the One - 11:44
    6.) Jamie's Cryin' - 15:31
    7.) Atomic Punk - 19:01
    8.) Feel Your Love Tonight - 22:03
    9.) Little Dreamer - 25:46
    10.) Ice Cream Man - 29:10
    11.) On Fire - 32:30

Joepeggio and Mike Francis like this.
  5. PeterHamm

PeterHamm 2-Voice Guitar Junkie VIP ALL ACCESS

Some amazing fizz on beatles stuff, too. They didn't know how to use their pods.

mrcdboston and Mike Francis like this.
  6. Joepeggio

Some of their fizz was created by overdriving the mixing board, ie Revolution.

mrcdboston likes this.
  7. Mike Francis

Mike Francis At Home Guitar hero (to my kids) Staff Member Supporting Member Level 1

They were pioneers of the art we all love

mrcdboston and Joepeggio like this.
  8. SeaBass

SeaBass New Member

That classic VH tone is and will always be KILLER! Sounds like absolute dog ****e when isolated but when the band kicks in, DAMN!

mrcdboston and Mike Francis like this.
  9. eric harbauer

eric harbauer Enthusiast VIP ALL ACCESS

Everyone seems obsessed with cutting fizz these days. I don't play Metal and maybe thats why, but I cant stand the way cabs sound when they get massive high cuts. They lose so much detail and pick attack to my ears. Does anyone else feel this way or am I on my own island?

mrcdboston likes this.
  10. Joepeggio

In on that same island. Cut the fizz by lowering gain.

I think you 'll find it's a big island.

mrcdboston and eric harbauer like this.
  11. eric harbauer

So much this.

mrcdboston likes this.
  12. Mike Francis

I like a little dirt in the mix occasionally but I think you can have a little as long as it's clear tones not so much that it becomes cluttered and messy especially in some blues it works unless your into grunge metal or thrashed stuff I can't play that stuff anyway van haven had the right amount that worked for him somehow he made it readable but some came after him tried and it became just a mess of over doing it but if you like it then play the heck out of it that's why I love the firehawk so much it's clear on any volume any tone

mrcdboston and eric harbauer like this.
  13. SeaBass

SeaBass New Member

You're not the only one. So often I see Helix users suggesting high cuts in the IR/Cab block of around 6-8k. I'm like, "That sounds WAY too dark and neutered sounding!" 10k is the lowest I'll go in terms of a high cut on the IR block. I don't want to lose that pick attack and percussiveness on my dirty tones.

14. Joepeggio

Same here. If i find things to "shrill", I will usually grab a parametric eq and cut 3k, Q1.8, -4db or so...

15. eric harbauer

Before or after the CAB block?

Mike Francis likes this.
  16. Joepeggio

After for me. Last in chain. Even Global if you want. I havent tried before cab or just after, before effects. Sometimes, the effects add a bit if high end which may cause issues , or not... Its up to you.

Mike Francis likes this.
  17. BigRalphN

BigRalphN Enthusiast VIP ALL ACCESS

Fizz comments make me cringe. In the of days we called it "hair" and it was desire to an extent. I really wish the metal crowd would all go to solid state and quit trying to remove natural characteristics of tubes.

Joepeggio likes this.