1. This is a fantastic community based on a FRIENDLY community environment. Please register for your account. Simple - Easy - Fun!

Thank You

Help with Line 6 Helix HX

Discussion in 'General Gear Talk' started by Carlo Santin, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Carlo Santin

Carlo Santin New Member

Hi guys, I'm new here, not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. Looking for some help. I purchased a Line 6 Helix HX effects this weekend. I'm setting it up via the 4 cable method. I've followed the diagram on the cheat sheet provided by Line 6. I'm not getting any preamp gain and the knobs on my amp do not work at all. The only sound I'm getting is a clean sound from the power amp section. If I switch channels on my amp nothing happens. The effects from the HX work. I've even figured out how to set up the HX to change channels on the amp. I'm thinking there is some parameter in the unit that I am not turning on but I can't seem to find it and I've been reading the manual all weekend. My amp is an EVH 5150III lunchbox amp. Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to this effects modeling stuff. Thank you.

2. OnTheBus

OnTheBus Administrator Staff Member VIP ALL ACCESS

A block being active or inactive isn't as obvious as I'd like. Sounds like the fx send block to input of real amp (preamp) is disabled & signal isn't getting there. In 4cm, that's exactly what you want IF Helix Preamp is enabled & want to sub it in place of the real preamp.

So to clarify, your signal flow is: Guitar to HX input, fx send 1 to Input of analog Preamp, out of real amp fx send back into HX return 1, main out of HX to return of real amp?

3. Carlo Santin

Carlo Santin New Member

Yes. I followed the cheat sheet that was included with the HX. I finally figured it out. Once you have the 4cm hooked up, you need to go into stompbox mode and click an empty slot. Then hit the big button (if you own the unit that phrase will make sense) and scroll down to inputs/outputs I think. Click that and scroll to activate fx loop 1 if that is where you connected your cables. This activates the preamp of your amplifier. What I need to learn now is how to change the placement of effects so that my reverb and delay are in the loop of my amp and others are in front of my amp. It's a powerful unit and I must admit, I am in a bit over my head. I am used to pedals, this being my first multi-effects unit. Big learning curve for me.

4. OnTheBus

5. Carlo Santin

Carlo Santin New Member

Yes I just read that today. Tomorrow I will tackle the signal flow. I think I'm getting close to understanding the essential elements of getting the unit to work in 4cm. Editing the effects and moving them where they appear on the pedalboard is quite easy.

OnTheBus likes this.
  6. OnTheBus

Right on! Have fun & feel free to post something in the demo thread once you get used to it. (Hopefully not a phone mic, but it's sure better than nothing!) :smilecat: