1. This is a fantastic community based on a FRIENDLY community environment. Please register for your account. Simple - Easy - Fun!

Thank You

Practice practice practice

Discussion in 'Theory & Practice Techniques' started by Mike Francis, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Mike Francis

Mike Francis At Home Guitar hero (to my kids) Staff Member Supporting Member Level 1

We have all heard this over and over and still i find that sometimes as much as i love to play that i find myself getting stuck in a rut or getting frustrated on learning new stuff and i stare at my guitar in the corner and say ill pick you up in a minute and then get on something else and forget or occasionally ill just get lazy and say after while ill do it lots of excuses i found something that helps me is first i have one of my go to guitars within arms reach i hear something new a little blues lick or rift i want to try or a song gets stuck in my head and so i pick up my guitar right then and try something maybe try to figure it out or maybe search youtube for a lesson on that particular thing the point is no one said I was ever gonna be a professional player or make millions doing it I myself just want to be the best I can be I am not young anymore but an old dog can still learn so my advice one is to if you want to get better you cant do it by simply leaving your guitar in the case or leaving it in the corner have it right where it can stare you in the face even if you pick it up for 10 minutes you might be surprised at how much you will improve by just picking it up doing something small or trying something new and never get frustrated at the guitar or yourself but if it just sits there it will never happen I have used this habit for so long now that somehow my day doesn't feel complete if i don't pick up the guitar at least once feel free to express your opinions on this advice or whatever hits your mind Im always wanting to learn new ideas

tag78 likes this.
  2. eric harbauer

eric harbauer Enthusiast VIP ALL ACCESS

I've always felt that there is no substitute for just having the guitar in your hands as much as possible. Even just noodling while watching tv helps with so many things, hand synchronization, alternate picking, timing, learning to play by ear to commercials. It all helps. so many of us today are so busy with work, kids, soccer practice, homework, mowing the lawn, it gets hard to just find a few minutes. For a long time I used Tube amps, 4x12 cabinets, and loads of gear that I couldn't necessarily pick up and play in a hurry. These days I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated music room, (my son plays drums so it was an easy sell to the wife) and i can just walk in and pick up a guitar and start playing. I am guilty of leaving my helix turned on for days at a time so i can just walk in and play without even waiting for it to boot, but hey... Now I play way more than I did 4-5 years ago so its all good. If the helix dies... well Im betting it'll be just fine unless they but a dying tubes mode in the next firmware update. :tonguewink:

tag78 and Mike Francis like this.
  3. Mike Francis

Mike Francis At Home Guitar hero (to my kids) Staff Member Supporting Member Level 1

thanks eric that is a good post im about in the same boat Im not near the player i would like to be getting older eyes dont work great but I am much better than I was when i was younger :sunglasses:

tag78 and eric harbauer like this.