1. This is a fantastic community based on a FRIENDLY community environment. Please register for your account. Simple - Easy - Fun!

Thank You

Storing your Gear your Guitar babies and why

Discussion in 'General Gear Talk' started by Mike Francis, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Mike Francis

Mike Francis At Home Guitar hero (to my kids) Staff Member Supporting Member Level 1

this is a discussion not for controversy just different views on how you think is best to store or display you beloved tools of our trade or do you just throw them in the corner like you have and unexplained amount or money coming from thin air just kidding feel free to comment lets see different ways and why you feel this way

2. PeterHamm

PeterHamm 2-Voice Guitar Junkie VIP ALL ACCESS

My guitars are on a stand by my desk when I'm using them and in the case/gig bag when I'm not. Lately, they are out a LOT, actually, but not displayed like art. Leaving them out when you're not using them is the reason so many end up getting pitted metal on the hardware over years. I've helped guys clean up some of that over the years. Sometimes the hardware actually gets problematic because of so much dust and corrosion. Keep them clean and in the case and that doesn't happen. They are tools, not display pieces, to me.

Mike Francis likes this.
  3. Max Newman

Max Newman Member

You might describe me as a bit of a hoarder. I have somewhere between 25 and 30 guitars. I have about 6 of them out of cases in my band rehearsal room. The rest are inside the cases stored away in my house.

Mike Francis likes this.
  4. Mike Francis

Mike Francis At Home Guitar hero (to my kids) Staff Member Supporting Member Level 1

I think im a gear hoarder too :sunglasses:

5. PeterHamm

PeterHamm 2-Voice Guitar Junkie VIP ALL ACCESS

I'm definitely not. After recently selling my T, I am down to my Crowdster (a hybrid), ONE acoustic, ONE electric, and a bass guitar.
    All I need.

BigRalphN and Mike Francis like this.
  6. BigRalphN

BigRalphN Enthusiast VIP ALL ACCESS

I consider myself more of a bedroom guitar player hobbiest. It is my only real hobby now since age and health ended most of my other activities. I am not a hoarder as I can easily sell if needed. In fact I am trying to unload about three or four projects and lower end guitars. It's hard when people do not know the brands.

I tend to leave most out on stands except my acoustic and a couple I do not touch now. That leaves about 12 or so out on stands and they all get used since I am home 24/7 these days.

Mike Francis likes this.
  7. eric harbauer

eric harbauer Enthusiast VIP ALL ACCESS

You mean you're not supposed to throw them in a pile like Yingwie? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

2:17 :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Mike Francis likes this.
  8. eric harbauer

eric harbauer Enthusiast VIP ALL ACCESS

Mine either hang on the wall or are one of the 2 or three I'm currently playing and sit in a stand next to me. I do try and rotate as often as possible, keep em all tuned and reasonably fresh strings. and at least twice a year (spring and fall) I go thru all the truss rods. Just as important is to run your amps. turn em on, get power to all the caps, warm up the tubes rock em for an hr or two. neglected things die a slow death. amps are no exception

9. Mike Francis

wow that makes me cringe Ive had bad dreams about mine getting stolen or burnt up or even the grinch trying to steal them i catch him in the act shoot him to save my guitars and he falls against them and they fall off the wall on top of him lol still wow some people dont care about there stuff :sob:

eric harbauer likes this.
  10. Mike Francis

I need to take a nerve pill after that i couldnt get thru the whole video oh my heaven I was about to jump out of my skin

eric harbauer likes this.