1. This is a fantastic community based on a FRIENDLY community environment. Please register for your account. Simple - Easy - Fun!

Thank You

Too many "boutique" builders?

Discussion in 'General Gear Talk' started by Rogatien022, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Rogatien022

Rogatien022 New Member

What's your take/opinion on this?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it seems we have more options than ever when buying, say, a dirt pedal. Or an amp. Or a cab. Not to mention guitars and basses.

So what say you, the more the merrier? In the end it's all the same?

Mike Francis and mrcdboston like this.
  2. mrcdboston

mrcdboston Administrator Staff Member Manufacturers Vendor Level 1 VIP ALL ACCESS

I think that I agree that there are a LOT... But as long as there is a market and they make a solid product... I say its good :-)

Mike Francis and Rogatien022 like this.
  3. OnTheBus

OnTheBus Administrator Staff Member VIP ALL ACCESS

Yeah it feels like there are in some ways... like a million versions of OD's that really saturate that corner, but then again with something like acoustic guitars, even though there's plenty boutique builders for you to get top tier guitars from, I still want to see more! lol!

4. PeterHamm

PeterHamm 2-Voice Guitar Junkie VIP ALL ACCESS

If they all make money... I mean... there’s too many fast food restaurants and discount clothing stores, too, but I’ll take ‘em...

5. mrcdboston

mrcdboston Administrator Staff Member Manufacturers Vendor Level 1 VIP ALL ACCESS

Excellent analysis my friend.

Mike Francis likes this.
  6. Chris O

Chris O New Member VIP ALL ACCESS

It gets a lot more ideas out there, but I'd agree that you find this more and more in many industries...and it can be overwhelming!!

Mike Francis likes this.
  7. Rogatien022

Rogatien022 New Member

So judging from the few replies on here, I take it that it's "the more the merrier" approach with boutique builders. I gotta say all the boutique gear I could afford and get my hands on was top notch, those I did not like wasn't because of poor quality but because of my personal taste.

I truly think that customer service makes a huge difference, the "personalized" approach towards every customer... That's how a builder will rise above others. Last year I had a dirt pedal done for me, only for me, by a local - and unknown - builder (does this as a hobby apparently). It's basically an OCD clone, but tweaked to my likings. Well, the time we spent discussing about it, then tweaking it together to get it where I wanted, the constant communication between us, I mean this is what I'm talking about.

And I guess having boutique stuff is like standing out, or trying to stand out of the regular crowd. It gives you that "uniqueness" impression... And admit it, you love it when someone asks you "hey dude, what's that no name pedal on your board, it does sound fantastic!"

8. PeterHamm

PeterHamm 2-Voice Guitar Junkie VIP ALL ACCESS

Not always the more the merrier. There have been a couple of instances (one in particular comes to mind, TMG before it was owned by the guy who owns it now) of real shady characters using the boutique gear fad to fleece a lot of people.

That #### is always bad.

Mike Francis likes this.
  9. Mike Francis

Mike Francis At Home Guitar hero (to my kids) Staff Member Supporting Member Level 1

Ill chime in if thats ok in the early days of industrial revolution america was a place of opportunity it seemed that once the automobile was invented you had new innovators popping up all over the place some fell by the waste side some actually made it also the same in the electrical industry and railroads and iron works so I say this is America the days of innovation has been said that its long gone but I say let everyone that will try to build something new new guitar bodies new necks new ways to electrify your guitar because not all will make it but a select few that try gives us amazing things such a Line 6 Helix and Guitars Like Variax ,Gibson Fender new builders like Knags ,LSL or even some not yet invented so i say try all they want this is America land of innovation and we have some very amazing talented people right here in the USA and like i said this is my opinion But not all will make it not all will be the next new axe or pedal board or amp everyone has to have but never hurts to try you dont have to please everyone just Be unafraid to take your shot thanks for listening. oh sorry for any typos lol

10. Chris O

Chris O New Member VIP ALL ACCESS

Guitars, beer, and skis...my three vices, and they pop up like mushrooms... ;)

Mike Francis likes this.
  11. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny New Member VIP ALL ACCESS

I think the false assumption in the OP is that there isn't "enough" to go around: enough money, customers, ideas, etc. - a false sense of scarcity. But the market proves otherwise. In any case, I agree. I think there's too many. That's why I seem to just gravitate toward mainstream. EBMM guitars for me. I've been down the custom route several times. There is satisfaction to be found, but I always end up coming back to my Petrucci guitars or PRS or whatever.

Mike Francis likes this.